#Tharna_Stone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#Tharna_Stone

#Tharna_Stone By the book role-play

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Research books 15-27

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Research books 15-27 Empty
PostSubject: Research books 15-27   Research books 15-27 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Rogue of Gor Book 15
pg 469 Other generally respected coins tend to be the silver tarsk of Tharna, the golden tarn disk of Ko-ro-ba, and the golden tarn of Port Kar, the latter particularly on the western Vosk, in the Tamber Gulf region, and a few hundred pasangs north and south of the Vosk's delta.

pg 717 On the table, too, she placed small spoons, of silver, from Tharna, for use with the black wine, and, at each place, a kailiauk-horn-handled eating prong, from distant Turia. Finger towels, then, and a silver finger bowl, too, she placed upon the table. The bowl was also of Tharnan silver.

Guardsman of Gor Book 16
pg 308 One city in which the common camisk is favored, generally, is Tharna.
The men of Tharna, incidentally, commonly give their girls little to wear, even by Gorean standards, and tend to take profound satisfaction in their near nudity. This is doubtless why they tend to favor the common camisk.

pg 309 To be sure, in Tharna, even the common camisk must be earned. The men of Tharna tend to be very strict with their slaves.
"A pan of water, a crust of bread, a collar and a camisk—these are what every woman needs—and perhaps not the camisk,” is a saying of Tharna.
In Tharna women are in no doubt as to their bondage.

Savages of Gor Book 17
pg 358 Gorean coinage tends to vary from community to community. Certain coins, such as the silver tarsk of Tharna and the golden tarn of Ar, tend, to some extent, to standardize what otherwise might be a mercantile chaos.

Blood Brothers of Gor Book 18
pg 1026 The bridges of Tharna had been gray and cool in the soft, long, slow rains.

pg 1027 The silver mask seemed unnaturally large. The woman's voice, from behind it, seemingly far away, was wild with rage. “We shall meet again!” I heard.
The tarn smote its way from the roof of the palace. Air tore past us.
The Dorna was a ship, a tarn ship, a ram ship, shallow-drafted, straight-keeled, single-banked, lateen-rigged, carvel-built, painted green, difficult to detect in the rolling waters of Thassa, out of Port Kar.
Lara, who had been Tatrix of Tharna, kneeling before me on a scarlet rug, in the camp of Targo, the Slaver, lifted, supplicatingly, holding them in her hands, two yellow cords to me.

Kajira of Gor Book 19
pg 283 These mines were said to be almost as rich as those of Tharna, far to the north and east of Corcyrus. The claim of Argentum, of course, was that the silver mines were theirs.

pg 1209 Once, I supposed, there might have been considerable differences of other sorts, not physical, separating us, differences of demeanor and attitude, differences of posture, or body language, of expression, of command or regality, and surely so, from what I had heard of the imperious, tyrannous Sheila, Tatrix of Tharna.

Players of Gor Book 20
pg 259 "Why not the coinage of Ar,” I asked, “or that of Port Kar, or of Asperiche, or Tharna, or Tyros, or Schendi or Turia?"

Dancer of Gor Book 22
pg 1294 "If you disapprove of our offer,” said the leader of the five men, a bearded fellow, “return to Tharna, and there mine the difference."

pg 1306 The small fellow, I had gathered, might have once been from Tharna. That is a city far to the north and east of Venna. It is well known for its silver mines. So, too, incidentally, is the city of Argentum, where I had been owned by Tyrrhenius of Argentum, and had served him as a lure girl. One can usually recognize a man of Tharna by two yellow cords, each about eighteen inches long, thrust over the belt. Such cords are suitable for binding a female, hand and foot. In seeing such cords the woman understands that it is possible for them to be used to put her at a man's mercy. The meaning of these cords has something to do, apparently, with the history of the polis of Tharna. Interestingly there are supposedly almost no free women in Tharna. Further, it is said that the slavery of a woman in Tharna is one of the strictest, most uncompromising and complete of slaveries on Gor. Similarly, interestingly enough, almost all of the female slaves in Tharna are native-born to the city. Tharnans seldom bring slaves into the city or, indeed, sell them out of the city. It is their own women, it seems, whom they keep in bondage, and a bondage of a very severe sort. Even when a slave begs to be sold out of the city, this is usually denied to her. One might almost think that the slavery of the women in Tharna was not an ordinary slavery but in some sense rather different. It is almost as though it had been imposed upon them as a punishment; it is almost as if they had been sentenced to it. Surprisingly, however, and scarcely to be expected in such a stern polity, the city itself is ruled by a Tatrix. Her name, it is said, is Lara. Also, paradoxically, Tharna's first minister, who stands second only to the Tatrix, is not of high caste but of lowly origin, only of the metal workers. His name, it is said, is Kron. Such things, I think, make Tharna an unusual city. She defends herself well, incidentally, and some, though perhaps they jest, speculate that her silver may be safer even than that of Argentum, which is an ally of Ar. One man of Tharna, it is said, is a match for ten from most cities. Whereas that is doubtless not true, it is not disputed that Tharnan warriors are among the most dangerous on Gor. It is indicative of this sort of thing that Tharnan mercenaries usually command high fees. Many mercenary companies use them as cadre and officers.
"No,” said the bearded man, squatting across the blanket from the small fellow.
The small fellow, however, did not wear in his belt the two cords of Tharna. This suggested to me that if he had ever been of Tharna he now, at any rate, was no longer of Tharna. Perhaps he had been cast out of the city. Perhaps he had been banished or sent into exile.

Renegades of Gor Book 23
pg 539 Too, many had been frustrated by free women, and free women in their own city. It was a rare fellow who did not, from time to time, regard the women of his own city as quite as suitable for collaring as those of other cities. Were they not all women? Many Goreans, for example, rejoiced in the situation in Tharna, where almost every female is a slave.

Vagabonds of Gor Book 24
pg 822-823 I thought of a small fellow I had once known in Tharna. He had been called “Ost.” It had not been an unfitting name for him. I had neither seen him nor heard of him since the revolt in the mines, that upon which the revolution in the city had been consequent. I did not know if he had survived the revolt and revolution or not. In that revolution the gynocracy in Tharna had been overthrown, devastatingly. Even to this day women in Tharna are kept almost uniformly as helpless, abject slaves, the men of Tharna having an excellent memory for history. The youth of Tharna is usually bred from women temporarily freed for purposes of their conception, then reenslaved. In Tharnan law a person conceived by a free person on a free person is considered to be a free person, even if they are later carried and borne by a slave. In many other cities this is different, the usual case being that the offspring of a slave is a slave, and belongs to the mother's owner. The education, however, of the Tharnan youth differs on a sexual basis. The boys are raised to be men, and masters, and the girls to be women, and slaves. The boys, as a portion of the Home Stone Ceremony, take an oath of mastery, in which they swear never to surrender the dominance which is rightfully theirs by nature. It is in this ceremony, also, that they receive the two yellow cords commonly worn in the belt of a male Tharnan. These cords, each about eighteen inches long, are suitable for the binding of a female, hand and foot. In the same ceremony the young women of Tharna are also brought into the presence of the Home Stone. They, however, are not permitted to kiss or touch it. Then, in its presence they are stripped and collared. They are then, by the young men, bound with the yellow cords, so that they will know their feel. Afterwards, they are usually conducted home by one of the young men, often he whose cords have bound them, and who may be interested in their acquisition, on his leash, usually to the home of their mother's owner, usually their father, to whom, in virtue of such a ceremony, they now legally count as slave, who will see to their disposition, or sale. Even free women visiting Tharna from other cities must, at the gates, don temporary collars and slave tunics, and be leashed. The ruler in Tharna, paradoxically, was for several years a tatrix, Lara. To be sure, she herself apparently had some understanding of what it was to be a female slave. It seems it had once been taught to her. I had heard, incidentally, a few months ago, in Port Cos, from a Tharnan silver merchant, that Lara had abdicated. Perhaps her abdication was in the best interests of the city. I do not know. Doubtless it ended something of a political tension in the city, and I take it that Tharna now, under the governance of its councils, and its administrator, Kron, has at last achieved a commendable political consistency. As nearly as I could determine from the reports of the silver merchant Lara's abdication was not forced, nor even the result of extreme political pressures brought on her, but a voluntary act, one apparently regarded by her as being not only in the best interests of the city but in her own best interests as well. He did not know what had become of her. I would suppose that she is now merely another Tharnan woman, another slave. It is my hope that she is happy.

pg 1048 A similar abundance and release of masculine energy, it seems, has taken place in Tharna, dating from the overthrow of the gynocracy.

pg 1090 Mothers in Tharna, of course, are kept as slaves. Indeed, they are not merely kept as slaves; they are slaves.

Witness of Gor Book 26
pg 327 I know now, of course, as I did not earlier, that there are many free women on Gor, and, indeed, that most women on Gor are free. An exception seems to be a city called Tharna. I do not know why that is the case.

pg 687-691 "But perhaps I have a better idea,” he mused.
"Master?” she asked.
"Perhaps you should be returned to Tharna in chains,” he said.
At this Dorna turned white and flung herself to her knees at the foot of the dais.
"Oh, no, Master!” she cried.
"They might enjoy seeing you again,” he said.
She began to weep and tremble. She looked small, and piteous, and female, at the foot of the dais.
"Look up,” he said.
She did, through wild tears.
"They might enjoy having you again within their walls,” he mused.
"No,” she sobbed.

pg 692 The mere thought of being returned to some former master, from whom, I gathered, she had been stolen, was apparently more dreadful to her, more fearful to her, than the assemblage of fates which had just been outlined before her, those possibly consequent upon her being returned to Tharna, some city into the power of which, it seemed, she would be ill-advised to fall.

Prize of Gor Book 27
pg 861 “Once, perhaps, he was well off, but not now. He claims to have once, albeit unwittingly, sold the very tatrix of Tharna."
Back to top Go down
https://tharnastone.rpg-board.net

Research books 15-27
Page 1 of 1